My Lasik Experience

Lasik surgery is a popular surgery for vision correction of astigmatism, myopia (nearsightedness) and hypermetropia (farsightedness).

Few years ago, I have discussed with my parents for undergoing this surgery in Malaysia but since I was still very young, the surgery is not yet an ideal option for me. However, after seeing a few of my friends who had the surgery in recent years, I have decided to correct my vision once and for all.




I had my appointment on the second day of 2015.

Various eye examinations had to be done before the doctor can be 100% sure that my eyes are suitable and healthy for the surgery. The moistness, shape and curvature of my eyes, the thickness of my cornea all were fully taken into consideration. As far as I remember, the corneal thickness examination was the scariest because the nurse used a "wire like thingy" to scrape the surface of my eyes after using a few drops of anesthetic to numb my eyes. Although I didn't feel any pain, I could feel the vibration of the "thingy" when the examination was on. Compare to the nurse, I don't know who got more nervous, me or her. haha.

1 minute prior to the surgery, the nurse gave me plenty of anesthetic drop to  make my eyes NUMBer.
While I was laying on the surgical bed, the nurse added MORE numbing drops but this time, I couldn't feel any liquid flowing into my eyes anymore. I know that my eyes were flooded with solutions but I couldn't feel anything. I can't remember feeling nervous, all I know is I was in fear.

Part of me regretted the moment I lay on the surgical bed. 

My mind was running wild. I kept asking myself "What's wrong with glasses and contact lenses?"

But it was too late to chickened out.

The doctor used an eye speculum (left photo) to prevent me from blinking and a suction ring (right photo) to stop further movement of my eyeball.


I think this is how it looks when both of these are properly placed on my eyes.
(For real image, please Google yourself)

photo credit : eyesurgerylasik.net

After the placement is secured, I was asked to stare at a green beam above my eyes until a small flap of the cornea is created. Similarly, I did not felt any pain when my cornea was being "cut" however I can feel the pressure of the machine exerted on my face and eye. It somewhat felt like putting a cup on my face and eye, and someone is pressing the cup toward my face. Scary right?

My vision soon became blurry but I can still noticed the green light above me.
Every second seems to pass really slow.
You have no idea how relieved I was when one of the nurse started to count down "5..4..3..2..1"

I was shocked mentally and but I still have to go through the same procedure on the other eye!

(After googling the options of creating the corneal flap), I realised the hospital I went performed femtosecond laser method instead of the commonly known microkeratome method. The former method creates the flap in a high level of accuracy using an infrared beam of light to precisely separate tissue while the latter one slit off the cornea with an oscillating blade.
 
 



Femtosecond Laser Method
Microkeratome

In less than 2 minutes, the cornea flap on both of my eyes were created. Then, I was instructed to get up from the surgical bed and walked to another room, where the laser procedure was performed.

I was confused. "Hmm? You want me to get up and walk?"

YW and the nurse walked me out and had me seated at the hallway. I think I was really shocked because I broke down suddenly out of no where. Quite embarrassing to let the doctor and so many nurses saw me that way. But luckily YW was there to comfort me ❤

So I stepped into another room and lay on the surgical bed again. But this time, the nurse passed me 2 squeeze balls for me to alleviate my tension. Probably she sensed that I beh ki (feeling vunulrable, in the midst of giving up) soon. haha.

The procedure in the second room was about the laser and closing of cornea flap.

I remembered more anesthetic drop were added and my eyes were rinsed before the laser procedure begun. Similarly, I was asked to look at the targeted green beam and my vision went blurred. Pressure was felt on my eye and all I can see was the tiny green beam became blurred and enlarged (because my eye lost focus). Here, my eye flap was being lifted and laser beam started to do its miracle. I can smelled the an unfavorable scent (like something was burnt) when the laser was delivered into my eye. (seriously! haha)
After a few seconds, the doctor rinsed my eyes again and put back the flap into its position. Not to mention that I saw him sweeping my eye surface with a tiny roller tool!

The procedure is repeated on another eye.

photo credit : www.riversideonline.com

The surgery is completed and I was transferred into another room to rest my eyes for 30 minutes before the nurse chased me out. haha.

Upon completion, my vision was blurry as if there were haze everywhere. Not a tiny bit of pain however my eyes were very very very sensitive to light and I was unable to walk with my eyes opened. My eyes were red and teary. The nurse did gave me a protective glasses to wear on my way home. 

My vision is improved after I woke up the next day.
No discomfort or dry eye so far and I am happy with the result despite having to go through such horror experience. 

For my friends who are interested in getting lasik surgery, besides the Facebook digital discount ticket, there is another discount voucher which starts from 10000¥ depending on the type of plan you are interested. Do get if from me if you need it :)

That's all for this post.
Hope you enjoy reading it!
x

3 comments:

  1. =O
    now i know how it works! rupa-rupanya they reshaped your cornea izit! cool!
    not bad.. within one day will recover... so now u no longer need specs?

    Best place for Anniversary celebration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Henry XD
      I just need more fancy shades from now :)

      Delete
  2. I can understand your worries and concern regarding LASIK, since I have went through a similar stage few months back. I had even thought of dropping my plan and staying with my contacts many a times. But I can assure you its the best method to opt for. I had high end myopia and I got it treated from See By Intravision at Oakville . If you have answers to all your questions and your doc is approachable, there is nothing to worry of. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete