Friendship




"If you died today, who among your friends will make it to your wake or funeral?"


This question got me thinking few years ago, and it still got me thinking now.

For the past 24 years, I have met so many people. Some inspired me, some helped to build my confidence, and some taught me the value of friendship, at all levels.  Those who once very close to me are not necessary close to me now. I guess life really is like a bus ride. You will meet a lot of people along the way before you reach your destination. Some came by halfway and left, but some stay with you throughout your journey. However, those who rode with you from the start do not mean they will ride with you until the end.

What I really want to say is I feel that growing up is a crucial thing. Those friendship for 5-10 years you had in school suddenly became so vague that you hardly feel comfortable contacting them now (is that normal?). Distance and different field of work do play a big part in separating relationships apart. I feel really sad to see that happening. I don't even know who should I ask for fashion or hair advice nowadays! Friendship become so vulnerable as we grow up. Remember how we ask for forgiveness by offering our friends candies, toys or pizzas? However as we grow up, apologising seems to cost a million dollars. And even if we forgive, let's face it, it's hard to forget.

How many "friends" in your Facebook do you actually know them personally or keep in touch from time to time? In my opinion, Facebook should consider adding the option of "add as acquaintance" instead of "friend" only. And things got more complicated when Facebook likes and Instagram hearts become a tool to show your support to your friend. And when you don't see their name showing up at the like-list, you I will get disappointed and actually feels that "maybe our friendship has gone sour". Maybe that's only me. I don't know. But that can't be only me right? 

Speaking of which, I am not a very supportive friend either. I tend to curate and only like pictures or statuses which really amazed or impressed me. That's the problem with social media nowadays. Instead of connecting people around, it became a medium to "evaluate" your friend's works. #GuiltyAsCharged

I really admire the friendship between Jane and Stacy (Drop Dead Diva). I know they are only fiction characters but their friendship is something I have never seen before, not even between Blair and Selena (Gossip Girl) or the Pretty Little Liars. But..! All these girls movies make me want to have a girl squad like Taylor Swift! How I wish I have more genuine friends around me all the time, instead of the insignificant number of Facebook "friends" which only project number but nothing else.    

So back to the question. If you died today, who are those friends that you think might be going to your wake or funeral? 
Even if you don't want to think about your funeral, it's fine. Reminisce those beautiful moment you and your friends had. Those faces who showed up in your mind just now, do show them some love to let them know that they matter to you. :)

x

0 comments:

Post a Comment